Happy 2019! Well, as happy as you can be when grieving…
It is difficult to think of yourself when things in your life get turned upside down. It gets worse when a loved one dies. You are so focused on the pain and sadness you might not tune in to your own basic needs such as eating healthy foods, getting enough rest, exercise, and staying away from mood altering substances.
Try the following:
- Ask for help- lower your expectations of what you need to accomplish.
- Focus on your needs. Basics first! (Let someone else do your laundry or entertain your kids).
- Be sure to surround yourself with supportive people.
- Relaxation or yoga or meditation or music are all good ways to calm yourself.
- Talk about your feelings with someone you trust.
- Let folks know you want to talk and hear about your loved one.
- Engage your mind with activities that keep you present.
- Keep a journal. And write down all the good memories that come to mind.
- Think gratitude. What are you grateful for?
- If you are spiritual, pray.
- Write letters to your loved one.
- Let go of regrets and guilt. You did the best you could.
Happy 2019! Be well,